WordPress is an popular blogging and publishing platform which users can build advanced functionality into their sites with plugins. If you’re interested in building a community around your site, here are some Wordpress Plugins that might be useful if you are setting up your own site that can help you create a community/directory/membership site and your content.
1. BuddyPress: powerful set of social networking plugins for WordPress. It’s quick to install and set up, and can be as complicated or simple as you want. One of the nice features about BuddyPress is that you can turn on or off specific features whenever you want, making it as powerful or simple as you need.
2. MemberWing: MemberWing allows to convert your existing blog into membership site without any changes or re-designs. Membership plugin MemberWing supports latest version of self-hosted Wordpress 2.6+ and works on any hosted account that allows wordpress installations.
3. Community Submitted News: lets any visitor to your blog submit content. It’s a great idea if you have an active community surrounding your blog but don’t always have time to write original content. It also gives your blog’s readers a more active role in content creation.
4. Article Directory: The primary task of this plugin is deduce on the main page (or any another) the structured list of categories, which can be easily customized with CSS, how it's made now on Articlesss.com web-site.
5. Business Directory: The Business Directory plugin for Wordpress is an easy way to host a free directory page for your readers, affiliates, advertisers, community or club members. Invite them to submit a simple advertisement listing for themselves on your blog.
6. Profiler: a plugin for generating and displaying profiles for the registered users on a WordPress site. It is intended to be a "set it and forget it" plugin. You do not have to have any programming knowledge to use this plugin.
7. TDO Mini Forms: lets your subscribers or even non-registered users submit or edit posts and pages. Submissions are kept in “draft” form until approved by an administrator.
8. WP-UserOnline: enables you to display how many users are online on your Wordpress blog with detailed statistics of where they are and who they are (Members/Guests/Search Bots).
9. User Photo: Allows a user to associate a profile photo with their account through their "Your Profile" page. Admins may add a user profile photo by accessing the "Edit User" page.
10. Customize Your Community: It allows you to re-brand the WordPress pages for registration, logging in/out, and lost passwords, as well as the user profile pages. In addition to giving your community a standardized look and feel.
11. Mingle WordPress Plugin: The simple way to turn your WordPress blog into a Social Network. Mingle uses your standard WordPress website and standard WordPress theme to create profile pages, user friending, profile page posts, profile activities, social comments, email notifications.
12. Aleph: implements profiles, paginated and customizable user lists. It supports localization and pretty permalinks. Suggestions, bug reports and fixes (specially security & bug fixes) are welcomed. PHP 5 is required.
13. CHAT Users and Design Integrated (BoWoB): Free Chat for your website, integrated with your system users and design.
14. WP-Sentry: Users may be members of multiple groups. Multiple groups and multiple individual users may be allowed to view each post. Overlaps are ignored — if the user is a member of any group that is allowed to view the post, that user will be able to view it.
15. WP Members: a plugin to restrict WP content to be viewable by registered site members. It is designed to work “out-of-the-box” with no modifications to your theme, but also to be scalable for those that want to customize the look and feel.
16. Digress.it: lets your visitors add notes in the “margins” of a blog post, much the same as one would in a book. It can be used in an educational setting, to annotate a post, or even to offer criticism.
17. Threaded Comments: where users can reply directly to other users and have their response appear directly under the original comment, It’s a great option for encouraging your visitors to engage not just with you, but with each other as well.
18. Gigya Socialize: Integrate with popular social network sites. The Gigya Socialize plug-in aggregates authentication and social APIs from Facebook Connect, MySpace ID, Twitter, Google, Yahoo, LinkedIn, and AOL, giving sites the ability to:
19. Simple Facebook Connect: let you add any sort of Facebook Connect functionality you like to a WordPress blog. This lets you have an integrated site without a lot of coding, and still letting you customize it exactly the way you’d like.
20. Google Buzz Button For Wordpress: This plugin will add a Google Buzz Bookmark button to your Wordpress posts/pages. The button can be inserted manually or before or after the content automatically.
21. EasyPayPal: EasyPayPal allows you to make money from your WordPress site by collecting a subscription payment from your users.
22. Gigya Toolbar: adds the Gigya toolbar to your blog. The toolbar is widely used and offers a great way to allow readers to bookmark and shre your posts. Supports 80 social destinations including Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and Yahoo.
23. Email Users: allows you to send an email to the registered blog users. Users can send personal emails to each other. Power users can email groups of users and even notify group of users of posts.
24. Member Access: allows a WordPress administrator to make individual posts and pages accessible only to logged-in members. Member Access allows global configuration so that all posts or pages can be viewable by everyone.
25. Theme My Login: This plugin themes the WordPress login, registration and forgot password pages according to your current theme. It replaces the wp-login.php file by using a page template from your theme. Also includes a widget for sidebar login.
26. Sidebar Login: Sidebar-Login has both a widget and a template tag to allow you to have a login form in the sidebar of your wordpress powered blog.
27. Alkivia Open Community： A plugin to build user communities all around WordPress, mainly it’s around having a well integrated profiles system. This plugin will provide all needed functions and widgets to make it easy and flexible the ways to show all information about a user.
28. qTranslate： qTranslate makes creation of multilingual content as easy as working with a single language.
29. GD Star Rating： allows you to set up rating and review system for posts, pages and comments in your blog. You can set many options for displaying the rating stars, and add widgets into the sidebars for displaying top ratings and other statistics generated by the plugin.
30. SodaHead Polls： Create a free, customized poll for your blog with images and video in seconds using the best WordPress poll widget available. Many of the web's top publishers have selected SodaHead as their poll of choice.